Wednesday, December 1, 2010

The World Would Be a Better Place if......

There are many things that could complete this statement that would make it true.  But one thing has been bothering me for weeks now.  In our area, SEC country, there has been major controversy over Cam Newton and a NCAA investigation into possible violations.....blah, blah, blah.  This has been a national story as well, but here, it is crazy!  People who know nothing of this boy either want to tear him up him or bow to him.  The news has been very negative....stories of stolen laptops, cheating on papers, possibly taking money to play, etc. so it is natural for people to presume that something is up.  It's human nature to hear all of these things and assume some of it is true.  I don't mean to the point of making signs or even arguing with others about it....but believing some of it.

What has been most surprising to me are the fans who have professed undying love and support for a boy that they don't know, with this type of press over several years.  I am all for giving someone the benefit of the doubt, and I do so in this situation.   What is sad to me are the folks that I know personally who 'dog' other adults, for FAR less....they berate people they work with, children, family members, etc.  yet they shout undying support for a college quarterback they don't know at all.   What a better place this world would be if those same supporters rallied around young children, their neighbors, their coworkers, their family members.  How great would it be if people professed the same love for Jesus?

I'm all for 2nd chances (and even 3rd, 4th and 5th chances-thank God I've been given many) and I'm all for seeing the best in someone and giving them the benefit of the doubt.  I'm far from perfect but it is my nature to believe someone is good until they show me otherwise, and they don't have to score touchdowns to do so.  It is the greatest commandment, and something I work towards daily.

Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’ 31 The second is this: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no commandment greater than these.”  Mark 12:30-31

No comments:

Post a Comment